Frequently asked questions

Is the passport necessary to travel to the United States?

Air Travel

Since January 23, 2007, Canadian citizens travelling by air to, through or from the United States must present one of the following documents:

This requirement applies to all Canadian citizens, regardless of age, including children. Canadians should obtain the appropriate required documentation before travelling, keep this documentation up to date and carry it with them.

Land and Sea Travel



Students 18 years of age or under

Canadians citizen 18 years of age or under who travel with a school or are a part of a group trip, under adults supervision and with their parents or tutor approval have to show a citizen proof :  original Birth certificate (or a copy) signed by the registrar of civil status. For more details and updated information, you may wish to consult the US Customs’s website.

**Strongly recommended: parental agreement



  • meat (beef canned food, poultry, pork), goat cheese, fruits, vegetables, plants, dangerous items (weapons, knives), drugs


  • 2 bottles of 750 ml of wine or 40 oz of alcohol or 24 cans of beer (the traveller must be at least 21 years old)
  • 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 2 kg of tobacco
  • gifts for the amount of $400 or less (including tobacco and alcohol) (if away for more than 48 hours)
  • Poultry or pork canned food/ Cheese / Tuna, shrimps, smoked salmon

Why choose Student Tour as my travel agency?

STUDENT TOUR has been operating since 1986. It is one of Québec’s most experienced educational travel agencies. Each itinerary is tailor-made to meet the needs of each group. The STUDENT TOUR Internet site is designed to help you plan your trip and to help your students research your chosen destination.

More than 400 000 students have already travelled with STUDENT TOUR.

A child is not a Canadian citizen, what documentation is required for him to travel?

If the child is a Canadian citizen, your STUDENT TOUR representative will indicate the identification papers needed.

The best advice for a parent whose child is not a Canadian citizen is that he/she communicates directly with the embassy or consulate of the country you wish to visit. In this way, you will avoid mistakes due to misunderstanding or recent changes to the country’s admission policy. If you decide to take the information yourself, request written answers.

A child is vegetarian and/or has allergies; will he/she receive the appropriate meals for the same price?

If the group organizer clearly informs us of the number of participants requiring special meals at least 45 days before departure, in most cases, those needs can be met without any extra charges.

When is the best time to send the deposit and the balance payment for the trip?

For the deposit you may make arrangements with your STUDENT TOUR travel counsellor, but if none are taken, the deposit must be paid two weeks after reserving.

The balance must be paid 45 days before departure.

What are my responsibilities during the trip?

You are responsible for group discipline. Your tour guide will provide a certain amount of activities while visiting sites but above all she / he is responsible for ensuring that you receive all you have paid for. You are also partly responsible for motivating your students and keeping an enjoyable atmosphere during the entire trip.

What are the addresses and phone numbers of the US embassies and consulates in Canada?

Embassy of the United States in Ottawa
490, Sussex Drive
613 238-5335 / 613 688-5335

United States Consulate General in Québec
11, rue Ste-Geneviève
2, Place de la Terrasse-Dufferin
418 692-2095 poste 6

United States Consulate General in Montréal
1155, rue St-Alexandre
514 398-9695 / 514 981-5059

What vaccines are required?

Before going on a trip, it is important to know what precautions to take and get inoculated with the vaccines you and your students must receive.

Of course, you will have to plan according to your trip. If you stay in a tourist area, the preparations will be different than if your group is planning to go into a more remote area.

Consult the Web site of the Public Health Agency of Canada for all the information about the vaccines needed for your destination.

What kind of meals are included in the package?

Unless otherwise advised, we include typical “teen” food (pizza, chicken, spaghetti, lasagna). Lunch may be “fast food”. On request, we can include larger meals with appetizers, soup, entrée and dessert.

What type of vehicle do you use?

STUDENT TOUR uses several types of vehicles. The type of bus is noted on your group contract.

For more information: contact us!

How much spending money should we bring?

Most trips include meals and entry fees. But prepare some money for extras, such as souvenirs and treats.

The table below can help parents know how much pocket money they need to give their children for meals only.

United States (3) $30 US to $40 US
Montreal (4) $10 to $15
Quebec City / Ottawa (4) $10 to $15
Toronto (1) $25
France (2) $10 to $15
Spain (2) $10 to $15
Italy (2) $10 to $20

  1. Breakfast is usually included in Toronto trips.
  2. For European destinations, breakfasts and dinners are often included. Only lunches need to be paid with your own money.
  3. If breakfast is not included.
  4. For lunch only.

Can I pay by credit card?

We offer  ¨MySITE¨which is a management tool for online payments.  Ask your trip coordinator for more information.

What are the fees should a student cancel his/her trip?

Please refer to your group contract. Cancellation fees are not the same for a trip including land or air transportation.

Is our money protected in case of problems?

STUDENT TOUR holds a Québec travel agency licence. In Québec, travel agencies are directly supervised by the Consumer Protection Board (Office de Protection du Consommateur or O.P.C.).

All sums received must be deposited in a trust account and may only serve to pay your trip’s services (hotel, bus, museums, etc.). Your money is protected and your trip is guaranteed. In the event of a problem with our agency, the O.P.C. would take charge of your file to ensure you receive what you have paid for. When you compare Québec with the rest of North America, this is the best protection available.

Does insurance cover all health problems?

It is very important that you completely fill in the exclusion form for pre-existing health problems. The principle is simple: if you have a health problem before the trip that requires hospitalization during the trip, the costs incurred are not covered by Blue Cross insurance. The Government of Québec will pay part of the hospital expenses but Blue Cross will not cover the difference.

Here are two examples:

You have a cavity and, during the trip, you absolutely have to see a dentist: you are not covered.

An object hits you in the face and you lose a tooth: you are covered.

What do I do if I have problems during the trip but no guide to help out?

Some groups prefer to travel without guides. At any time, seven days a week and twenty-four hours a day, you can contact our STUDENT TOUR emergency service: 1 800 463-2265.
In most cases, you will be able to speak directly with the travel counsellor responsible for organizing your trip.

Are tips included in the trip?

Tips have already been calculated for meals included in the package. Of course, the decision to leave a tip to the chambermaid, the driver and the guide is entirely yours. However, we believe that this is part of the travelling experience students should acquire.

We suggest the following tips (per person):

  • $3 per day for the guide and 2$ per day for the driver.
  • $2 per day for the housekeeping staff (except in Europe).
  • $1 to $2 for the city tour guide with a local guide (sometimes included in your package).
  • 15% to 20% for restaurants (N.B.: when meals are included in your package in Canada and in the United States, the tips are already calculated in your package).
  • 15% to 20% for taxis.

Suggestion: during registration, ask for a supplementary amount. Each time a tip is customary, you can leave an amount for the group.

Can a parent accompany the group and travel complimentary?

Yes, anyone can use the comlimentary tickets you are entitled to. You will need extra adults to adequately supervise your group. The chaperone / student ratio varies according to the participants’ ages and according to your knowledge of the group.

As a chaperone, do I have to pay my travel expenses?

In most circumstances the trip is free for the teacher-chaperone. If you wish to receive pocket money for your expenses during the trip, you can sell it at a higher price (with the school administration’s approval) or take an additional complimentary trip to cover these costs.